So, 2009 has been and gone, it really feels like the year did a Usain Bolt on us. 2008 seemed to merge into 2009 and the end of 2009 rapidly approached and has left everything in a blur, now this might be because in my tender old age of 22 I sadly merge events together, others will be more negative and say that my alcohol fuelled days at the UEA (University of East Anglia) were never actually a good thing.

Anyway, on to my main point, 2009 was a year that saw many celebrities pass away. That’s right people, those folk that some of us adore so much, actually leave planet earth like the rest of us boring little people. Don’t get me wrong, I was shocked at the loss of the King of Pop (R.I.P) and it was sad that Brittany Murphy lost her life at such a young age, but the furore that seemed to go with these deaths was all just a little too much at times. But I suppose this isn’t such an unreasonable thing when you consider how deeply we are enrooted to celebrity culture.

We idolise these people (rightly or wrongly) because of how they entertain us, we revere them because their lives seem so much better than ours and we like to see them fall just to reassure ourselves that our lives aren’t all that bad. In an age where everybody appears to want to get rich quick, where shows like Big Brother and such help people with next to no talent achieve fame and riches is it really any surprise that such a big deal is made out of celebrity deaths?

My answer is no, but to me, and I am probably wrong, it is part of what is wrong with society.

R.I.P to the celebrities who lost their lives who were (UN)lucky enough to have their whole world at their funeral and R.I.P to those who were and never will be given 24 hour news coverage and a trending topic on twitter.

I won’t bore you with lists of the best and worst things of 2009, this has been overdone and I am sure we all have our personal highlights of the year.

I shall wish everyone a prosperous new year, and I hope that “the best of your todays will be the worst of your tomorrows”. Happy 2010 people.

0 comments: